Notes on The power generator
The power generator
The Westmarket report
Timing: Ideally spread over two lessons with a homework research project between the classes.
- Research facts on global warming
- Help students learn to present complex information in a simple way
- News report for the local media, which you assess
- Self-assessment form
In groups – The students take the role of local reporters covering a meeting about a proposed wind farm. They will need access to computers.
There is a wealth of online material for them to consider:
- Wind energy information (also available on Information card 6)
- Thoughts from key local figures in the debate
- Vox pops representing the opinions of local people on the high street in Westmarket
- A map of Westmarket showing the proposed location
- Westmarket facts
- A press release from the wind farm company, WindGen
- Suggested external links
Explain that the students have to write or prepare a news report for the local media. Each member of the group researches a different aspect of the story and then they bring the results together in a presentation.
This could be a written presentation or a brief radio or TV item lasting a few minutes. Emphasise that a news report must have the feel of a news story. Ask the group to suggest what a real story would have as its main elements.
Then distribute 3: The Westmarket report and Information card 6: Wind energy if you wish. The students can refer to those for guidance.
Go to The power generator
Download Activity card 3: The power generator: The Westmarket report
Download Information card 6: Wind energy