1 September 2015
Our CEO Tony Cocker has written another letter to Ofgem, which talks about how satisfied customers are with our complaints handling process. It’s a follow-up to last year’s response, which can be read below, and gives an update on the progress we are making.
Some of the key highlights from his letter are:
- We’ve seen improvement in the percentage of residential customers who agree with us that their complaint has been resolved - from 54% in the original research to 63% in January 2015.
- Satisfaction with the resolution, and the number of customers who agree that we’ve treated them fairly, have both gone up by 14%.
- We’ve looked at micro businesses for the first time – with 57% of those customers agreeing that their complaint was resolved. The percentage of customers who agree we’ve treated them fairly is 50%.
- We’ve continued with our transformation programme and rolled out Handle with Care – which is our way to manage and resolve complaints – to all customer-facing staff.
- And we’ve also implemented the recommendations of Deloitte’s independent audit.
We’re aware of the challenges to improve customer satisfaction and to reduce the number of complaints we receive. To learn more about our progress and our plans, you can read Tony’s letter in full. You can also read information about our complaints reporting.
24 October 2014
We’ve looked at the way we handle customer complaints. In fact, we’ve made some big changes in order to meet our customers’ concerns.
Recently Ofgem issued a statement regarding energy companies’ poor handling consumer complaints. This was based on a study conducted by marketing research company GfK.
In this open letter in response to Ofgem, our Chief Executive, Tony Cocker, has detailed the numerous steps we’ve made so far to improve the way we handle our customer complaints.
These steps include:
- Our ‘Handle with Care’ programme – over the last year we’ve changed and unified the way we handle all complaints across the business. We’ve also created new guides to help all our colleagues to create a consistent and helpful experience across the business.
- How the programme is delivering results – we’ve trained 4,000 colleagues with this new way of working, which helps to reduce the time it takes for complaints to be resolved.
- How we’re seeing positive results already – such as an 11% increase in the number of customers who say we treated them fairly.
Tony details our drive to make further change, as we realise there’s still lots to do.
To view the letter in full, simply download the PDF or click below.