E.ON awards wind farm foundations contract to Teesside start up TAG
The contract will see the Teesside based manufacturing firm become the first UK manufacturer to secure a substantial monopile and transition piece project for a wind farm in British Waters. An additional 60 people will be employed to deliver the contract.
Preparation work for the manufacturing of the sixteen, 60 metre long, 650 tonne monopiles and associated transition pieces will begin immediately at TAG Energy Solutions' state-of-the-art production facility on the banks of the River Tees.
The first steel is expected to arrive in March and the contract is planned to be completed by quarter four 2013.
E.ON's £736 million Humber Gateway wind farm, situated 8km off the Yorkshire Coast close to the mouth of the Humber Estuary, will consist of a 73 turbine array that will generate up to 219MW of electricity, enough energy to power up to 170,000 homes.
Edward Davey, UK Secretary of State for Energy and Climate Change, said: "Securing investment in clean energy that supports growth and jobs is an absolute priority. I want to congratulate TAG Energy Solutions on becoming the first UK manufacturer to secure a contract of this kind for a wind farm in British Waters. I hope that they are the first of many.
"The development of a thriving UK supply chain is vital to support our rapidly-growing offshore wind industry. The Government is working with industry so it can source at least half of the content for offshore wind projects from within the UK. This will help build the lasting legacy of a strong domestic offshore wind manufacturing capability."
Tony Cocker, CEO of E.ON UK, said: "We're extremely pleased to be able to work with TAG on this very important next step in the construction of our Humber Gateway wind farm and to support local businesses in this way. I welcome TAG on board and hope that this is just the beginning of our organisations working together."
Alex Dawson, Chief Executive of TAG Energy Solutions, said: "This high profile contract represents a significant achievement in TAG Energy Solutions development and the important role it plays in the manufacturing of components for the offshore renewables sector. We are very pleased to be working with E.ON and this award demonstrates we have the skills, products and capabilities to serve the offshore wind industry."
He added: "We are in the unique position of being the first, fully prepared British manufacturer to provide volume monopiles and transition pieces for UK wind farm developments. E.ON has demonstrated its confidence in TAG Energy Solutions and British manufacturing and we are very proud to be part of one of the country's flagship wind farm developments."
Construction on E.ON's Humber Gateway is well underway, with first foundations expected this summer, and completion due in 2015.
Notes to editors:
- E.ON is one of the UK's leading power and gas companies - generating electricity, retailing power and gas, developing gas storage and undertaking gas and oil exploration and production. It is part of the E.ON group, one of the world's largest investor-owned power and gas companies. E.ON employs around 12,000 people in the UK and more than 79,000 worldwide;
- In the UK, E.ON supplies power and gas to around five million domestic, small and medium-sized enterprise and industrial customers - meaning the company has to buy approximately 122.7 billion kWh of power and gas each year to meet their needs. E.ON also offers innovative energy services and technologies tailored to meet its customers' needs, and is helping customers become energy fit by encouraging them to insulate their homes, moderate their energy usage and even generate their own power;
- E.ON's generation portfolio includes world-class gas-, coal- and oil-fired power stations. E.ON is a market leader in combined heat and power (CHP), and is one of the UK's leading green generators with 22 wind farms and the UK's first wave power generator, with another 1,500MW of renewable capacity under development.
TAG Energy Solutions:
- TAG Energy Solutions is a project management and construction company with large facilities based on the North East coast of the UK.
- TAG Energy Solutions' management team has vast experience in the energy sectors. With more than 200 years of combined knowledge, the team features experts recognised as some of the best in the industry;
- The creation of its new automated tubular production facility has been made possible by an investment of £26million secured from leading renewable investment funds and Government grant support, which recognises TAG Energy Solutions' capability to become a leading supplier to the offshore wind sector;
- TAG Energy Solutions, through its investment and its growing position in the renewables market, is at the heart of the supply chain and has an exceptional reputation for skill, innovation and quality;
- TAG Energy Solutions 6,920m2 facility has the capability to deliver up to 100,000 te of steel monopiles per annum. Utilising an innovative manufacturing process, the facility's automated system rolls and welds large diameter tubulars used in the production of offshore structures;
- The company's 42-acre riverside facility has also been developed to manufacture jackets and topside structures, which can be transported around the world from its extensive wet dock and 6,000te load out quay.
For more information contact:
Janet Heald on 02476 183692 or firstname.lastname@example.org