CRC - What's included?

Once a business has qualified for CRC, all the energy it consumes through core sources must be included in CRC, such as electricity, gas, oil, diesel, liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) and coal. Core electricity and gas sources are emissions from:

  • Settled and non-settled Half-Hourly (HH) electricity meters
  • Non-domestic electricity meters
  • Dynamic electricity supply
  • Daily gas meters
  • HH gas meters
  • Larger non-daily gas meters (annual consumption greater than 73,200 kWh)

Gas supplies through meters fitted with AMR.

You may also need to include emissions from residual energy sources – see the 90% rule below.

What's not included in CRC:

  • Emissions from domestic properties and all transport emissions
  • Activities or emissions already covered by other Government policies, e.g. a Climate Change Agreement (CCA) or the EU Emissions Trading Scheme (EUETS)
  • Emissions from consumption outside the UK.

The 90% rule 

If you’re participating fully in CRC, 90% of your total CO2 emissions must be regulated by the CRC, CCA or EU ETS (the remaining 10% can be omitted). So if you work out that your CO2 emissions from core sources are less than 90% of your total emissions, you must include some of your residual energy sources in CRC until the regulated amount reaches 90%*. 

 Examples of residual supplies are Non Half-Hourly electricity meters or gas meters with annual consumption less than 73,200 kWh. The EA can supply a full list of these energy sources. Your business can opt in up to 100% of its total emissions.

* However, emissions from subsidiaries with over 25% of their emissions covered by CCA or EU ETS are excluded.