Changing to a prepayment meter
We don’t charge if you want to change your meter and if you’ve got a debt on your account, you can pay this back through your prepayment meter by setting up a payment plan with us.
There are a few things we’ll need to check before we can switch your meter over,
- Do you have 24 hour access to your meter? So, for example if you live in a flat, can you always access the meter, or is it locked away at certain times?
- Is your meter above head height? So topping up is safe and easy, you'll need to have a meter that's below about head height.
- Is there anything that would stop you topping up your meter (for example, medical equipment)?
If you have 24 hour access, a meter that isn’t above head height and nothing is stopping you from topping up, we should be able to install a prepayment meter for you.
Get in touch with us with an up to date meter reading and we can start the process. We’re on Twitter @EONhelp and Facebook (8am – 8pm Monday to Friday and 8am – 4pm Saturday), or if you’d rather give us a ring, we’re on 0345 301 5866 (8am - 8pm Monday to Friday and 8am - 6pm Saturday).
Changing to a credit meter
The great news is we don’t charge you if you want to swap your prepayment meter to a credit meter. The only requirement is that you pass a credit check, we don’t want to help customers into debt as it’s not good for you or us.
Before you think about changing your meter, make sure it's the right choice for you.
- Prepayment customers are more aware of what their energy costs as they see the credit going down, and therefore use less than customers who pay by Direct Debit, managing their energy costs well
- With prepayment, there are no big bill surprises
If you would like to have a credit check and for us to change your meter, call us on 0345 303 3040. Lines are open 8am to 8pm Monday to Friday, and 8am to 6pm on Saturdays.