What if I can't afford to pay my bill?

If you’re having problems paying your bill or need a little extra help please contact us.

We really want to help and understand what the problem is, so when you phone please tell us if:

  • Your circumstances have changed.
  • You need more time to pay.
  • You or someone in your house is elderly, or have a disability or long term illness.

We'll talk to you about your situation so we can offer the best advice. 

How you can you help me if I can't afford to pay?

Once we understand we'll try and find a way to help that's tailored to your circumstances. We can:  

  • Work with you to set up a payment plan that takes into account your situation and your ability to pay. If you stop paying us, we’ll contact you to see how we can help. This can now include the option to pay your final bill by fixed monthly Direct Debit.
  • Check if you can get help from the Fuel Direct scheme if you're on benefits and collect a weekly amount directly from your benefit pay.
  • Make your budgeting easier by fitting a smart meter and switching you to Smart Pay As You Go. You can top up your meter in advance with an amount you choose. We'll only fit a smart meter if we can in your area and where it's safe and practical for you to use one. If a smart meter's not an option for you we'll also check if a prepayment meter would be more suitable.
  • Provide advice to help you save energy and money. 

How can I pay my bill?

There are a few different ways you can pay your E.ON bill. If you don’t have an online account and you want to settle your bill online, you can register for an account.

Alternatively, we offer a number of other ways you can pay your bill:

1. Direct Debit
You can set up a monthly Direct Debit yourself online. Just select Manage your Direct Debit underneath the My account menu. If you don't have an online account, you can set one up in a couple of minutes.

2. Credit/debit card
You can pay by credit/debit card online, using the mobile app or over the phone, by speaking to an advisor or using our automated service.

3. Cheque
Make your cheque payable to E.ON Energy Solutions Ltd, and post it to:

PO Box 123

Remember to put your account number and address on the back of your cheque. This helps us make sure your payment reaches your account.

4. Prepayment meter
These kinds of meter work just like a pay as you go mobile phone.
You can get a top-up key or card at any Post Office, Payzone or PayPoint outlet.

Need to contact us about your bill? Please have an up to date meter reading and a copy of your latest bill to hand.

How to pay your bill

Why are you chasing me for debt when I have a payment arrangement?

If we've previously agreed an arrangement with you and you fail to make a payment we'll notify you immediately. 

Need to contact us about your payments? Please have your card details to hand when you get in touch.

My payments aren't showing on my bill, what should I do?

Depending on how you pay, it can take a few days for us to get your payment. If you made a payment 2-3 days before your bill date, it's likely we didn't have it in time to show on your bill.

If you feel there are payments missing from your account please wait a couple of days and then log in to your online account. From there you'll be able to look at all payments we’ve received. If you don't manage your account online and would like to, you can register by clicking here.

If you still feel that there are payments missing please contact us. To be able to find your payment quickly, we'll need to know:

  • The payment date
  • Where you paid
  • If you paid by cheque or online transfer
  • Your sort code and account number

What happens if I don't contact you and I don't pay my bill?

We want to help you, so it’s really important that you tell us if things have changed. We’ll only disconnect your energy supply as a last resort.

We’ll never limit how much energy you can use. We won't disconnect you in winter if:

  • You're of pensionable age and live alone or only with people who are also of pensionable age or under the age of 18. 
  • You or someone you live with is of pensionable age, disabled or chronically sick.

Organisations that can help

Debt advice

National Debtline or call Monday to Friday from 9am to 8pm on 0808 808 4000.

Citizens Advice or for England call 03444 111 444, for Wales call 03444 77 20 20.

Money Advice Service or call 0800 138 7777.

StepChange Debt Charity or call 0800 138 1111.

Christians Against Poverty (CAP) is a free service to help with debt, regardless of religious beliefs.


Energy saving advice

Energy Saving Advice Service have advice on energy efficiency and reducing energy bills. You can call them on 0800 512 012.

The Energy Saving Trust also have lots of advice on saving energy and cutting your bills.  For England, Wales and Northern Ireland send an email. Scotland call 0808 808 2282.