New connections for businesses

If you’re refurbishing your premises or expanding to new sites, we’ll provide technical expertise and support. As well as meter installation, we'll also deal with infrastructure needs and connecting you to an energy supply.

We’re here to help

From large manufacturers to major retail businesses, we can help you with the entire connections process. Including infrastructure and one-off gas or electricity connections, to major multi-utility projects.

Your connection journey

1. Getting started

First, you’ll need to find out your electricity and gas supply numbers. For electricity, this is known as your Meter Point Administration Number (MPAN) and you can get it from your local electricity distributor. If you’re not sure who it is, you can find out at

For gas, it’s called your Meter Point Reference Number (MPRN). To get it, simply call the MPRN enquiry line on 0870 608 1524 and ask for your MPRN. We’ll also need some details about your energy use.


2. Registering your premises

Give us a call on 0333 202 4920 to go through your requirements. Or if you prefer, you can download an application form and send it back to us. We’re on hand to help if you have any questions.

Get in touch

We offer expert advice and a full range of electricity and gas metering across the UK. From start to finish, we can cover your site's meter installation to agreeing a bespoke contract to supply your energy, including the option to fix your prices.

FAQs about our business electricity connection services

How do I find out who my electricity supplier is?

To find out who supplies your electricity you'll need to call your local distribution company, the number you need to call depends on where your new building is.



Northern Scotland - 0800 048 3515

Central and Southern Scotland - 0330 101 0300

North West England - 0800 195 4141

North East England - 0845 070 7172

Merseyside and North Wales - 0330 101 0300

South Wales, Midlands and South West England - 0845 601 5972

London, East and South East - 0845 601 4516

South England - 0845 026 2554

Is there a charge for electricity meter installations?

For new connections, meters are provided free of charge. There’s a small charge for meter relocations and upgrades. Please contact us on 0333 202 4920 for further details.

What’s a CT meter?

A current transformer (CT) operated meter. This type of meter uses current transformers to monitor the flow of current because the wires are too large to connect directly to the meter.

What is kVA or agreed supply capacity?

Kilovolt-ampere (kVA) is the measurement for your agreed supply capacity. This refers to the capacity of the network cables. The amount required for your cable installation work is agreed between you and the distribution company.

What do distribution companies do?

They’re responsible for maintaining the network of cables across the country. Each area of the UK has a different distribution company that looks after the cable network in that area.

Who do I need to contact to get my Meter Point Administration Number (MPAN)?

If you already have a meter at the premises, you’ll already have an MPAN. It can be found on your previous bills. Alternatively, you can contact your local distribution company.

Why do I need a Meter Operator Agreement?

This is required for supplies above 110kVA and is an agreement between you and the meter operator for the rental and maintenance of the meter. There’s a charge for the service, which varies between meter operators. Without an agreement, we can't install a meter.

FAQs about our business gas connection services

How do I calculate my load details?

This can be done by locating the data badge on each of your appliance(s). Here you’ll find your gas input/output rating and these need to be added together to calculate your maximum load. Alternatively, refer to the appliance manufacturer or a Gas Safe™ registered engineer who will be connecting your meter to the outlet.

How do I establish whether the pipework is live?

Your Gas Safe™ registered engineer will be able to perform the check on your pipework or contact your local gas distribution network. We can also arrange for a GT1 to be raised for your pipework to be checked on your behalf.

How do I find out who my gas supplier is?

To find out who supplies your gas, you can call the Meter Number Helpline on 0870 608 1524 (calls cost 7p per minute, as well as your normal call charges). 

What is a GT1 (Gas Test 1)?

A GT1 is a test carried out on pipework where you’re unable to establish the capacity of the pipework, or if a supply is live. A GT1 is raised to the network provider who will visit the site to establish this.

Where can I get my MPRN from?

It can be obtained via your infrastructure provider or by contacting the MPRN enquiry line on 0870 608 1524.

Who owns the gas pipes?

They’re owned by infrastructure providers, such as Scotia Gas Networks, Northern Gas Networks, National Grid, and Wales and West Utilities. To find out who this is, you can call the Meter Number Helpline on 0870 608 1524.

Why do I need to complete a gas application form?

So that we can understand the requirements for your gas supply and meter, we need specific information in order to process your application.

FAQs about our disconnection services

What do I need to do if I'm demolishing my property?

If you're demolishing your property, please give us a call on 0115 995 5019 and we’ll talk through what you need to do, and when.

What if I'm renovating my property and need the power turning off?

We no longer offer a same day service (turning the power off and then going back to turn it on again). Instead, we can:

  • Fit an isolator
  • Remove the fuse, and return on another day to put it back in

These services are only available to E.ON customers, and charges may vary depending on the service you require.

Business customers can call us 0115 995 5019 to find out more.

Is there a charge for having the gas and electricity disconnected?

Yes, this charge is from your distribution company, and they'll send you a quote once they've received the information from us.

How long will it take for my gas and electricity services to be removed?

This depends on the amount and type of work being carried out by the distribution company. You need to ring us on 0115 995 5019 to get started.

Do I have to have the gas and electricity supplies removed or are there any other options?

Yes, you might want to consider a service alteration, this involves the services to your property being moved to a different position. This still costs money and needs carrying out by your distribution company, but avoids disconnection and removal of the services.

You can contact the distribution company for your area directly for this to be carried out, and to get a quotation.

If I have my gas or electricity disconnected, does the meter need removing as well?

Yes, we'll arrange for the meter operator to visit the site and remove the meter once you've contacted us. Please allow 10 working days for this work to be carried out.