Meters for your housing development

We provide a one-stop shop for all your metering needs. From planning, to connecting new houses to a gas or electricity supply.

Call us on 0345 301 5921

We’re here to help

If you’re a construction company or Housing Association developing a site of 10 or more homes, we’ll give you a single point of contact from the moment you buy land, to the day you hand the keys to the new homeowners.

Dedicated account manager

End-to-end service including site visits and audits to make sure everything runs smoothly.

Free meter installation

Where signal allows, we’ll install smart meters as standard.

No standing charge

You won’t pay a standing charge from the date your meter’s fitted, until the property sells.

Your connection journey

1. Registering your site

First, please complete the site Meter and Energy Supply application form for your residential plots and any associated commercial supplies. We’ll email the form to you.


2. Registering your supplies

You’ll need to find out your electricity and gas supply numbers.
For electricity, this is known as your Meter Point Administration Number (MPAN) and you can get it from your local electricity distributor. If you’re not sure who your distributor is, you can find out at

Get in touch

We understand that every housing development is unique. Call if you're building more than 10 plots - then we can get a better understanding of your requirements. We're here from Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm.

FAQs about our business electricity connection services

How do I find out who my electricity supplier is?

To find out who supplies your gas, you can call the Meter Number Helpline on 0870 608 1524 (calls cost 7p per minute, as well as your normal call charges). For electricity, the number you need to call depends on where you live.


Northern Scotland - 0800 048 3515

Central and Southern Scotland - 0330 101 0300

North West England - 0800 195 4141

North East England - 0845 070 7172

Merseyside and North Wales - 0330 101 0300

South Wales, Midlands and South West England - 0845 601 5972

London, East and South East - 0845 601 4516

South England - 0845 026 2554

What is an MPAN, and where can I find mine?

Your MPAN is your Meter Point Administration Number (MPAN) and you can get it from your local electricity distributor. If you’re not sure who your distributor is, you can find it at

What is an MPR, and where can I find mine?

This is the Meter Point Reference number; your gas supply number. It’s a unique registration number given to domestic and small business gas customers, and relates to the pipework that has been installed at the property.

How do I make sure I get the right type of meter?

We’ll look at your estimated consumption and recommend a meter type and tariff that suits your requirements. From a single or flexi rate, to a restricted hours meter, we’ll make sure it best suits your needs. For a new build, if you find your consumption increasing, we can always upgrade the meter for you.

How long will it take to install my meter?

We’ll provide timings once you accept our quote. These can vary depending on the service you need. An electricity meter installation can take from 10-15 working days to install. A gas meter takes around 6 working days to install.

Who will install my meter?

This will depend on the work required and your location. Your meter will either be installed by our Energy Services business or by a third-party supplier.

How much will it cost to have new meters installed?

The meter and installation are free of charge. For more information about our energy tariffs, see our standard and prepayment prices. We have alternative products and payment options once your registration is complete.

Why do you need to process a credit check?

Credit checks are carried out for all customers who require a supply contract with us. When applying for a gas or electricity meter and a supply contract, you’ll need to provide the bill payer’s details and either a company registered office number, or if you’re a sole trader, your home address and date of birth. All supply contracts are subject to a satisfactory credit rating.

Am I tied into a contract?

E.ON will be your supplier from the date of registration. You will need to contact your chosen supplier should you require registering with another supplier.

What if I already have cables or pipework, but no meter?

For electricity you'll need your MPAN. If you're told that a supply number doesn't exist, please call us on 0345 301 5921 and we'll arrange for a supply number to be created, which can take up to 15 working days. You'll be asked if your cable is live and if there is an electricity supply.

For gas please contact your gas transporter to arrange a live/dead check. If your pipework's live, please contact us on 0345 301 5921 and we'll arrange for an MPR number to be created for your property which can take up to 5 working days. Once that's done, we can arrange to install your meter.