Smart meter installation
How we’re keeping you and our technician safe during the installation
- We’ll call ahead of arrival to make sure it is safe for our technician to enter your property
- We’ll ALWAYS keep a social distance of at least 2 metres between the technician and any members of the household
- Our technicians will be wearing appropriate PPE, sanitise gloves between each job and sanitise any surface they touch
- We'll set up your in-home display, provide you a demo and give you tailored energy efficiency advice, all from a safe distance
- We’ll remove all waste in accordance with our safe working methods
What are the benefits of smart meters and why are they being installed?
We have an obligation to install smart meters as part of a government-led nationwide upgrade programme. The Government requires suppliers to roll out smart meters as standard to homes and small businesses across Britain. Smart meters have a range of benefits for you:
• Residential customers can see how much energy they are using in pounds and pence with a helpful smart in-home display
• No need to provide meter readings, they’re sent to us automatically
• No more estimated bills. Only if you change tariff or there's a price change, part of your bill may be estimated until we get a reading for your new product or price.
Will it cost me anything to have my meters changed and smart meters installed?
No, there is no cost associated with changing your meters to smart meters.
What if I don’t want a smart meter?
If you don’t want a smart meter at the moment, please call us on 0333 202 4832 and let us know.
Business customers can call us on 0333 202 4826.
What can I expect on the day?
• When your technician arrives, they will introduce themselves
• We’ll check your mobile signal is strong enough to communicate with your new smart meter(s). If there are any problems, we’ll let you know and explain what happens next
• If you're a residential customer, we'll set up your smart in-home display, show you how to use it and leave you with a helpful guide
• We can also give you some hints and tips to help you save energy. Before we go, we’ll check everything’s working properly and take away your old meter(s) to be recycled.
How long will it take to change my meters?
It'll take around an hour to fit each smart meter, so we’ll be with you for around an hour if it's just your electricity meter or gas meter, or a couple of hours if we're changing both. Your electricity and gas supplies will only be switched off at the point of changing your meters. We’ll be as quick as we can.
I only have one fuel with E.ON
If you only have one fuel with us we’ll only change that meter on our visit. If you have another fuel by another supplier, then they should contact you separately about having a smart meter. If you choose to move your other fuel to us, then we can arrange to change both your meters on the same visit.
How many technicians will come to my property to install my smart meters?
Generally, one technician will visit your property, but if we have two people attending we’ll let you know before our visit.
Are there are any circumstances we need to be aware of?
Please let us know when you are booking your appointment if anyone in your home is of pensionable age, over 80, under 5 or under 17. In addition, please let us know if there is anyone with any medical conditions or dependency on an energy supply that we need to be aware of.
If you live in sheltered accommodation, please tell us so that we can work with the warden to get access to your meters.
If there is someone that you'd like us to arrange your appointment with, or if you'd like someone to be there with you on the day, please let us know.
If you'd like us to talk to you using British Sign Language during installation, let us know.
Would you like to set up a password?
If you're a residential customer and would like our technician to use a password on the day please call us on with this information on 0333 202 4832.
If I change supplier, will my smart meter still work?
It is possible that if you change supplier, your meter(s) may start working like your old meter(s) did. If so you will need to submit meter readings or have a meter reader visit to take readings. Your supply will not be affected and your meter(s) will still record energy consumption, it just won’t send the information to your energy supplier remotely.
Your data preferences
A smart meter can collect your usage information monthly, daily and every half an hour. We’ve arranged to collect your electricity and gas data daily. If we’re able to, we’ll collect it at the same time we take your monthly meter readings. In the future, your consumption data will help us to understand how you use your energy so that we can give you tailored advice, and let you know how much energy we’ll think you will use. If you are the account holder, you can change the way we collect data from your meter now or at any time in the future through your online account.
Great service as standard
We’re installing your meters in accordance with the Smart Metering Installation Code of Practice, the industry standard for smart meters. To see what this means, visit smicop.co.uk.
Smart billing information
If you currently chose to pay on receipt of your bill this will change once we’ve started to receive readings remotely from your smart meter.
Once you have a smart meter, you’ll start to benefit from monthly billing. The shorter and more regular bill period makes it easier for you to budget and stay on top of what you use.