If you take over responsibility for a property that’s empty and isn’t using any gas and/or electricity, you might not need to pay a standing charge.
However, if you start to use the supply or you formally accept a contract either verbally, through a telephone conversation, or online you’ll need to start paying a standing charge.
What if I don't use energy, or I'm a low user and don't want to pay a standing charge?
Whilst you have meters in your property, standing charges will be applied to your account. If you meet the eligibility criteria above and you contact us with readings to confirm you haven’t used any gas and/or electricity since the start date of your supply - we’re able to remove the standing charge from your account until you begin to use gas and/or electricity at the property.
If you have a gas and/or electricity meter that's not in use and you‘re not planning on using any energy for some time, or you’re a low user and you don’t need gas and/or electricity at your property then we can remove your fuse or meter(s).
If you’re a vulnerable customer we will remove your meter free of charge.
How do I know if I'm eligible?
Your standing charge will be removed if you’re on our standard tariff, E.ON EnergyPlan or E.ON EnergyPlan with Prepayment and all of below apply to you:
- You haven't formally accepted a contract either verbally, through a telephone conversation or online.
- The E.ON EnergyPlan or E.ON EnergyPlan with Prepayment tariff was automatically applied to your account on your supply start date as you've not formally accepted a contract either verbally, through a telephone conversation or online.
- You haven't used any gas and/or electricity since you took over responsibility for the property e.g. from the date you started the account.
- You can provide readings to help us identify that you've not used any gas and/or electricity since the start date of the account.
- You can provide evidence of how long the property was empty for and what period gas and/or electricity wasn’t used for, to help us to calculate the period for which the standing charge should be removed.
- If you can provide evidence to show that you only use one type of fuel at your property you'll not have to pay a standing charge for the fuel type that you're not using. You'll still have to pay a standing charge for energy used at the property.
How should I contact you if I'm eligible to have my standing charge removed?
If you think you’re eligible to have your standing charge removed you'll need to get in touch when you receive your bill. If your readings confirm you’ve not used any energy for that period we'll remove your standing charges and the adjustment will be shown on your bill when we've processed your request.
Please note: You'll need to contact us every time you need these charges to be taken off your bill.
You'll have to start paying a standing charge when you start using energy. This is when you enter the tariff contract.
More information about standing charges
A deemed contract is effective as soon as you start using gas and/or electricity at your property, from this point onwards you'll have to pay a standing charge.
We receive readings for prepayment customers on a regular basis this usually means we’ll be able to see when you’re not using energy and will remove your standing charge for you. If we haven’t done this you can contact us or wait for your next statement.
Credit meter customers if we can see that you’re eligible and we agree that you have enough readings to confirm you’re not using any energy we'll remove the standing charge for you, if we haven’t done this then please call us or wait for your next bill.
If you have only a gas meter or only an electricity meter removed you'll have to pay a standing charge for the one that’s left.