Smart Export Guarantee (SEG)

We're helping you to benefit from generating your own renewable energy at home and at your business, by paying you for any excess energy you don’t need.

We'll pay you for your excess energy

We’re launching a new export tariff, as part of the Government's Smart Export Guarantee obligation, as a mandatory SEG licensee. This is for people and businesses who generate their own renewable energy. It’ll allow you to earn money for any surplus energy you don’t use in your home or business and export back to the electricity grid.3



What is SEG?

SEG (Smart Export Guarantee) has been  introduced by BEIS (Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy) . This is for suppliers to offer an export tariff to pay customers with renewable technologies, like solar panels or hydro power, for any surplus energy that they send back to the grid. This tariff will be available from 1 January 2020.

What do I need to have to get SEG?

To apply for SEG, you’ll need to have one of the following:

More about Hydro Power

It’s possible to use the natural flow of water to generate energy, as the flow of water creates electricity through a turbine. Types of installation vary depending on the individual site and the source of water to be used.


Onshore wind

Onshore wind

With the installation of a wind turbine, kinetic energy from wind can be used to generate electricity that can be used in your home or business.


Solar photovoltaic systems

Solar panels are made up from solar cells with semiconducting properties that can generate electric current through a process called the photovoltaic (PV) effect, we can harness the energy from sunlight and use an inverter to feed electricity into homes and businesses.  Solar panels are most often installed on roofs, but other types of PV systems are available – both fixed and portable.


Micro-Combined Heat and Power

A Combined Heat and Power (CHP) unit can generate electricity and heat at the same time, with the intention of maximising the use of both of these, instead of wasting either (which often occurs when energy is produced through more traditional methods).


Anaerobic digestion

Using micro-organisms to break down biodegradable materials in the absence of oxygen can also help manage waste as well as generate electricity.  Anaerobic digestion creates a biogas that can be used as a fuel in its own right or to generate electricity through a Combined Heat and Power (CHP) engine.


You must also:

  • Be the owner of the generation unit.
  • Have a generation unit with a capacity of up to 5MW 1
  • Have a meter that is able to record energy that’s exported to the grid, on a half-hourly basis
  • Have an installation that is certified to the MCS (Microgeneration Certification Scheme), or equivalent, standards2 or a certificate from an equivalent scheme. For more information on what we would accept please visit the Ofgem website.
  • Have the ability to opt out of FiT payments. or be prepared to lose your FiT export payment if you move to SEG.
  • Not be receiving SEG payments from another licensee.

How do I apply for SEG?

Once you've completed our application form and sent it to us at with the required documentation, it'll take us 3-4 weeks to process your application. 

What happens next?

We’ll need to do some checks to make sure we’ve received everything we need from you.

If there isn’t already one set up, we’ll use an industry database to apply for an Export MPAN. This helps us to identify the export supply from your meter so we’re able to know how much energy you’re exporting, then we can make your export payments. To set this up can take approximately a week

Once this has been set up, we’ll email you our SEG Terms & Conditions as well as a SEG Plan which we’ll need you to sign and return back to us. Please keep the Terms & Conditions for your records.

When we’ve received your SEG Plan we can finish setting up your account.  We’ll ask you for an up-to date export meter reading once we confirm your start date, so that we capture a start reading to use to calculate your SEG payments. After that you'll receive your payments from us annually.

What’s on offer

Fix & Export v1

Open to all generators up to a maximum capacity of 5MW1

  • 12-month fixed term export tariff
  • No exit fees
  • 3 pence per kWh paid for exported electricity

Fix & Export Exclusive v1

Exclusively for any new E.ON solar sales after 1 January 2020. Our very best export rate.

  • 12-month fixed term export tariff
  • No exit fees
  • 5.5 pence per kWh paid for exported electricity

Get in touch

If you’ve had your renewable technology installed and have queries around SEG, you can complete our online form. 

You can also call us. We’re here Monday to Friday 9am-5pm. 

The legal stuff

Micro CHP installations must not exceed an electrical capacity of 50kW.

For solar, wind and micro CHP installations up to 50kW, Generators should demonstrate that the Generation Unit(s) and installer are MCS certified or equivalent. If the Generator is unable to do this, We, as SEG Licensee are not obliged to offer payments under the SEG Scheme, under the scheme accredited in accordance with EN 45011 or EN ISO/IEC 17065:2012.Some technologies, or sizes of For all other Generation Unit(s), Generators should demonstrate to Us, as the SEG Licensee, that the installation is suitably certified installations, may not be covered by any certification schemes. In these cases, we may decide to request a declaration and/or evidence from Generators that confirm suitable standards have been met.

For more information download the full terms and conditions

Frequently asked questions about SEG

Do I need to contact you with my Export Readings?

If we can’t obtain the export readings from your meter remotely, we’ll ask you to provide these every six months.

How often will I receive SEG payments?

As standard we’ll pay you for the electricity you export once a year. However, we’ll try to obtain a reading once every six months. This is to make sure your export reads are advancing and there’s no fault with the meter. 

If you ask for payments any more frequently - up to a maximum of four payments a year -  you must supply a valid meter reading prior to each payment.

What if I’m VAT Registered? (Businesses only)

The SEG Scheme is a non-taxable renewable energy scheme. If your company is VAT registered, then VAT will be added to your export payment. You’ll need to complete a self-billing agreement form and declare any VAT to HMRC as part of your tax return. 

I’m supplied by another company, but I’d like my SEG with you. Is that possible?

Yes, you can have different suppliers for your electricity supply  and for your SEG Payments.

What if I change my energy provider?

If you change your energy supplier you’ll need to let us know as soon as possible. If we are not told, we may not be able to make your SEG payment.