Feed-in Tariffs (FiT)

The FiT scheme is now closed.

The FiT scheme is no longer available as of 1 April 2020. Instead, you can apply for Smart Export Guarantee (SEG).

Want to know more?

  • You can find most answers to your Feed-in Tariff queries in our FAQs section.
  • You can complete our online form.


Frequently asked questions

What's an EPC and how do I get one?

An EPC is an Energy Performance Certificate and shows how energy efficient your building is. It’s valid for 10 years from the point of issue.

The rating on your EPC certificate can directly affect the rate you’re paid for your Feed-in Tariff, it’s therefore important that you provide the latest version of the certificate at the point of your application. If you don't have an EPC, you'll find some tools on the Energy Saving Trust website, which you can use to give you an idea of what level your property is at. Because your EPC rating can directly affect the rate you get paid in the FiT Scheme, you may wish to make some energy efficiency improvements to your property before having your installation commissioned.

Important: If a valid EPC isn’t provided at the time of your application you’ll get the lower rate for the duration of your installation’s eligibility period. Unless the property is EPC exempt, in which case you’ll need to provide written confirmation from an accredited energy assessor at the point of applying, to confirm this.

To get an EPC, you'll need to find an accredited domestic/non-domestic energy assessor by searching online or looking in the phone book.

What's an MCS certificate?

MCS stands for 'Micro Generation Certification Scheme', it’s a certificate to confirm that your installation has been enrolled within the Micro Generation Certification scheme and has been installed by an accredited MCS certified installer.

The MCS is the independent Government backed scheme that certifies micro generation products such as solar photovoltaic panels, hydro, anaerobic digestion, wind or micro combined heat and power. This is part of the Government funded ‘Feed-in Tariff (FiT)’ program and is an element of the UK’s overall effort in meeting EU 2020 Renewable Obligations targets.

If your installation was fitted after 15 July 2009 and has a declared net capacity of 50kW or under, it must be MCS accredited to qualify for FiT payments. If your device is MCS accredited, the company that installed it should only provide you with an MCS certificate on the completion of your installation.

I’ve applied, what’s next?

The date from which you’re eligible to receive FiT payments for the electricity generated and exported is known as the eligibility date.

Please note: for extensions to existing FiT accredited installations, the eligibility date is considered to be the date the extension was commissioned. Extensions commissioned on or after the 15 January 2016 are not eligible for the Feed-in Tariff scheme.

If you’re applying to us for MCS-certified registration (rather than Ofgem for ROO-FiT accreditation) then your eligibility date will be the date we receive your written FiT application request inclusive of a valid MCS certificate.

Different rules on eligibility date also apply to ROO-FiT accreditation, community organisations and schools. For more information please take a look at the Ofgem website.

Once we’ve got your application we’ll carry out some verification checks and if we don’t already have a reading for the day we received your application, we’ll also contact you to get a start reading from your FiT meter.

When we’ve got your meter reading we’ll register your details and send you a copy of your FiT welcome pack. This includes the FiT acceptance plan and Terms and Conditions, which you’ll need to sign, date and send back to us within 10 days. This can be done either by post or by email as detailed within the welcome pack.

It’s important that you return this document to us within 10 days. Your account isn’t live until your signed and dated FiT plan has been received by us.

Please note: for new installations commissioned before 1 April 2019 we must have received the application prior to 1 April 2020 or they will no longer be eligible for the Feed-in Tariff scheme.

How much will I get paid?

The rates you’ll be paid are detailed on your FiT acceptance plan and are based on the details supplied as part of your registration. Your Generation Tariff and/or Export Tariff are RPI linked and may be subject to an annual change by the Secretary of State. The Secretary of State could change the Generation Tariff and/or Export Tariff at any point. If this happens, these changes will be reflected in your next payment statement following the tariff change.

If you’ve applied for deemed export this will be calculated by reference to a percentage (shown on your FiT plan) which is determined by the Secretary of State and is published no less than 1 month before the beginning of each FiT year (which begins on the 1st April). The Secretary of State may amend these percentages. Any changes will take effect in your next payment statement.

You can find the latest tariff tables for the FiT scheme on the Ofgem website.

Will my electricity meter work differently?

Your electricity meter will continue to record the electricity you use, but it may tick over at a slower rate when your panels are generating electricity, it may even stop for a short space of time if you're generating more than you're using.

If your electricity meter stops overnight, or starts to go backwards please call us as we’ll need to change your meter.

You can call our appointment booking team on 0115 995 5291. We're here Monday to Friday 8am-8pm and Saturday 8am-4pm.

Will I have to pay tax on my FiT payments?

No, the FiT scheme is a non-taxable green energy scheme. If your company is VAT registered then VAT will be added to your export payment. You’ll need to complete a self-billing agreement application form and declare any VAT received to HMRC as part of your tax return.

What are the financial benefits of solar panels?

As soon as your panels are installed you’ll be able to use the electricity they generate, so you may use less electricity from your energy company.

If your panels are eligible and you apply for the FiT scheme, your FiT provider will make payments to you on behalf of the Government for any electricity generated.

If applicable, you could also be eligible for an export payment based on the energy that your panels export back to the grid.

Can I pay my energy bills with the money I earn from FiT?

No, your FiT payment and utility bills are separate and can't be offset against one another so you'll still need to pay your energy bill as normal.

What happens if I have more than one device?

You can apply for FiT payments for all of your installations, as long as all together they're not capable of producing more than 5MW of electricity. You may get paid different rates for each installation depending on the tariff set at the point of eligibility for each installation.

Why should I manage my account online?

If you sign up to manage your account online you'll be able to:

  1. Enter your FiT meter readings online.
  2. Get a summary of your FiT payments.
  3. Keep track of the amount of electricity you’ve generated.
  4. View your FiT plan.
  5. View information about your account 24/7.

How do I set up my online account?

1. Go to eonenergy.com/FITonline and enter your FiT account number (e.g. 012345678910).

2. Enter your details and we'll send you a confirmation email with a link to activate your new account.

3. When you receive the email, just click on the link to finish the setup - and you're ready to go.

If you already have an online account you can log in here. We’ll start making FiT payments quarterly, as long as you provide valid readings. We’ll either deposit these into your bank account, or send you a cheque in the post.

We have a timeframe of when we need a reading (the meter reading window) this can be found on your FiT plan, which gives you 22 days to call us, or you can log in to your account and enter the reading online.

Do you read my FiT meter(s)?

We need to read your FiT meter(s) so we can verify the readings that you’ve previously provided to us. As a FiT licensee, we're obligated to read your meter(s) in person at least once every two years. If we can’t get access to read your FiT meter(s) it may result in your FiT payments being withheld until we can verify a reading.

What happens if I’m out when you visit or you can’t get to my meter?

We’ll leave a card for you to contact us and re-book an appointment within the timeslots available.

What happens if my reading doesn’t fall in line with previous readings I’ve given?

Your FiT payments will remain withheld until we receive a photograph which will allow us to verify your readings. Please send this via email to FiTReadVerification@eonenergy.com or by post to E.ON – FiT Team, Caxton Road, Bedford, MK41 0EW.

If you miss a FiT payment during this period, you’ll be paid in full on your next payment date providing we’ve obtained a reading.

What happens if I need to transfer my installation to another person?

You’ll need to fill in our online form so we can send you out the relevant forms. 

How do I update my details?

If you want to change your bank details or the way you’re paid, let us know.

If you want to nominate someone else to receive your payments, fill out our online form and we’ll send you the relevant transfer form. 

Once you’ve completed the form you’ll need to send it back along with any other requested documentation. You can email FIT_transfers@eonenergy.com or send it by post to E.ON Energy - FiT Transfers, Caxton Road, Bedford, MK41 0EW.

Can I remove the solar panels?

Important: If you remove the solar panels they’ll no longer be eligible for the FiT scheme or FiT payments. Please also be aware that the panels can’t be transferred to another site and be eligible again for the FiT scheme.

If you remove the solar panels you must let us know by emailing FiTEnquiries@eonenergy.com or by writing to us at E.ON Energy, FiT, Caxton Road, Bedford, MK41 0EW and as a minimum, send us a combination of the following:

  1. Written confirmation from the installer/decommissioning certificate.
  2. Photographs of the site and dismantled equipment.
  3. Keep track of the amount of electricity you’ve generated.
  4. Disposal evidence (if the equipment is being scrapped), for example signed documentation or certification from the transportation or disposal company who are removing the waste.

What’s a multisite generator (MSG)?

If you’re responsible for 25 sites or more, you fall into this group and you’ll be known as an MSG and things work a little differently.

If you’d like more information about what it means if you’re classed as an MSG, then please fill out our online contact form.

How can I get in contact with you?

You can get in touch by completing our online form to discuss anything regarding your FiT account or application. 

How do I make a complaint about my FiT?

If you have a complaint about our FiT scheme service, please contact our Feed-in Tariff team:

  • by completing this form
  • in writing to: Feed-in Tariff Complaints, E.ON Energy Solutions Ltd, Caxton Road, Bedford, Bedfordshire MK41 0EW
  • or by emailing us at fitenquiries@eonenergy.com

We'll manage your complaint in line with our complaints handling procedure. If we've not resolved your complaint within eight weeks or we’ve sent you a deadlock letter you can contact the Energy Ombudsman, a free independent service to resolve complaints with energy suppliers. You can contact the Energy Ombudsman by phone on 0330 440 1624, or by emailing osenquiries@os-energy.org

What's on my weekly FiT report?

We’ve designed a reference guide to help you understand your weekly FiT meter status report. The guide explains all columns on the report, including the results of any meter inspections, and the steps you need to take to keep your FiT accounts running smoothly.