82% of people with smart meters have taken at least one step to reduce their energy use
Smart thinking for smarter businesses
Improve your energy efficiency by taking control of your businesses energy use with a smart meter. All businesses will have smart meters fitted before 2020, but you could get yours installed today. Business smart meters
Smart meter frequently asked questions
How we check if you can have an E.ON smart meter
For E.ON customers, we'll run a personal eligibility check when you go to book your smart meter appointment to see if we can install a smart meter in your home. Whilst we continue to roll out our smart meters across Great Britain, some restrictions may apply, with smart not available if you just get your gas from us. We'll install your meters subject to:
- Pre-install checks
- Safe access to your meters
- Signal availability
- Payment method or account status
- Other temporary metering restrictions
- Availability on certain tariffs
Smart meters availability, costs, how they work and installation
When can I get a smart meter?
How much will a smart meter cost?
- There is no cost for having smart meters or the smart energy display installed.
How do smart meters work?
- Smart meters work in the same way as a normal gas or electricity meter – they're just more clever. A smart meter will talk to your smart energy display in your home to show you how much energy you’re using, and will also communicate remotely with your energy supplier so you’re billed correctly. The smart meters we’re installing at the moment communicate using GPRS technology – the same kind of technology that mobile phones use.
What happens during the installation?
- Your smart meter technician will remove and replace your existing meters with smart meters. They will also test your metering equipment, along with your electricity and gas, to make sure it's all working properly. Then they will set up your smart energy display and show you how it works. Take a look at our online demo to see how it all happens.
Smart meter bills
Will my bill change once I get a smart meter?
- Your first bill after your smart meters have been installed will look slightly different to your previous bills, as it will show you your old meter and new meter details. The final reading for your old meter will be taken by our smart technician and your new smart meter will be billed to actual readings we've taken automatically from your meter. All bills after this will just show your use on your smart meter.
Why is my bill estimated?
- If we installed your smart meter: Sometimes we might lose connection with your smart meter. This could be because there is a physical obstruction in the way, or even because of changes in the weather. We’ll try to get an automatic read from your meter next time but if your smart bill continues to be estimated then please contact us so we can understand how we can get your smart meter working again.
- If another supplier installed your smart meter: We are unfortunately not able to operate meters installed by other suppliers as smart. We are working with the industry and Government on a solution to this and hope to have something in place soon. We should then be able to update your smart meter, but you will need to provide us with meter readings in the short term.
How do smart meters communicate?
Smart meters use wireless networks to communicate within your home, to show your energy use on your in-home display, and to communicate with each other.
Your gas smart meter only sends readings as far as your electricity smart meter, which then uses the same type of secure network as mobile phones, in order to send both of your meter readings to us.
If you only have a gas supply with us at the moment and you’d like smart meters, you can get a quote for us to supply your electricity too, then we can get both meters installed for you.
Should I get a smart meter?
If you normally pay your bills by Direct Debit or when you receive the bill, then getting smart meters means that you don’t have to send meter readings every time in order to get an accurate bill. We’ll still send meter readers once in a while to check your meter’s still working as it should, but so long as we’re getting regular readings, the visits will be less frequent.
If you have a prepayment meter at the moment, getting Smart Pay As You Go meters means increased flexibility, and no awkward rushing to the local shop to top up if you’ve run out of electricity mid-shower; you can manage your balances and top up online.